Add bold flavor to your steak with a warming spice rub and a coffee & rum flavored sauce.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup Clean R Non-Alcoholic Spirit
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, chili powder, allspice, salt and pepper until thoroughly mixed. Season both sides of the sirloin with the spice mix.
- Heat a large iron skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. When hot, place the sirloin in the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side until steak reaches desired doneness. Remove the steak from the pan and set aside to rest.
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter and saute the garlic and onion until tender. Add the brown sugar, coffee and Clean R to the pan and bring to a simmer. Stir to incorporate any brown bits left in the pan from cooking the steak. Let simmer until the sauce slightly reduces, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the steak and garnish as desired before serving.
Posted by permission from grocery.coop. Find more recipes and information about your food and where it comes from at www.grocery.coop.