Flatbush Food Co-op is committed to environmental stewardship with programs for managing waste and energy use and providing support to local, national, and international environmental protection initiatives.
Waste Reduction & Energy Conservation
- All our cardboard, glass, and plastics are recycled
- Inedible produce is composted and utilized by McEnroe Farms of Millerton NY
- Plastic bags are not used at checkout
- In conjunction with the Lower East Side Ecology Center, we host electronics recycling events twice a year, saving 6 tons of electronics from landfills annually!
- We are powered by 100% New York State-produced renewable energy from the Energy Cooperative of America
- We've been selling only organic produce since 1976!
- We're members of the Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York, and prioritize the sale of local foods whenever possible
- We've sponsored and work with Brooklyn parks and community gardens including the Prospect Park Alliance, Brooklyn Botanic Garden Auxiliary, Newkirk Community Garden, and Q Gardens
- As members of National Co+op Grocers, we help support Co+op Forest, a carbon offset program growing a sustainable forest in a formerly deforested region of the Peruvian Amazon, in partnership with organic farming cooperatives and PUR Project.
You Can Get a Lot (or a Little) from our Bulk Department!
From a pinch of rosemary to pounds of whole wheat flour, we carry bulk herbs and spices, grains, nuts, teas, dried fruits, seeds, beans, and organic snacks. We have nutritional yeast and oat and wheat germs for a healthy addition to your diet and a variety of herbs and teas so you can make your own blends. Whether you’re looking for a quick bite or planning a large meal there’s sure to be something for you in the bulk department!
Bring your own containers to customer service to weigh before filling up! Check out package-free shampoo and laundry bars in our HABA department and jars, bags, and more in our non-food section!